Homeowner’s HOPE Hotline: 888-995-HOPE
Click here to view the Making Home Affordable Website Information and Numbers to Call
Click here for HOPE NOW Support and Guidance for Homeowners
The Obama Administration’s Making Home Affordable Program includes opportunities to modify or refinance your mortgage to make your monthly payments more affordable. It also includes the Home Affordable Foreclosure Alternatives Program for homeowners who are interested in a short sale or deed-in-lieu of foreclosure.
- Beware of anyone who asks you to pay a fee in exchange for a counseling service or modification of a delinquent loan.
- Scam artists often target homeowners who are struggling to meet their mortgage commitment or anxious to sell their homes. Recognize and avoid common scams.
- Assistance from a HUD-approved housing counselor is FREE.
- Beware of people who pressure you to sign papers immediately, or who try to convince you that they can “save” your home if you sign or transfer over the deed to your house.
- Do not sign over the deed to your property to any organization or individual unless you are working directly with your mortgage company to forgive your debt.
- Never make a mortgage payment to anyone other than your mortgage company without their approval.
If you believe you have experienced discrimination based on race, gender, national origin, or another reason, contact HUD’s Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity at 1-800-669-9777.
To view or print the PDF content on this page, download the free Adobe® Acrobat® Reader®